Tuesday 28 July 2009

Books, books, more books, and free books too...

So I am just going to drop some 'authors' names in this post, just to show off that I know them, well I have to admit its not like any of them are Steven King or anything, but......

Martin White clued me in to an excellent new book on Search User Interfaces by Prof. Marti Hearst. Its a 'real' book, printed on paper and all that, but if you click on that title link you can read the entire thing online for free courtesy of Cambridge University Press - bless em' ! In fact his blog includes a posting on how he convinced the publisher to let him do that: http://www.searchuserinterfaces.com/blog/

Now as Martin brought this book to my attention, it is only fair that I bring it to the attention of my 3 regular readers (who probably already know) that Martin is the co-author of a rather spiffing book on search himself: Successful Enterprise Search Management (which is now available on Amazon as well as directly from the publisher).

I would think that if your running an enterprise search team in any organization these two books should definitely be on your shelf.

However my next read, when it arrives in the mail from New Zealand is SharePoint Roadmap for Collaboration: Using SharePoint to enhance business collaboration by Michael Sampson, who is also the author of Seamless Teamwork.

Seamless Teamwork is on my desk at this very moment (see picture for proof!) but I have to admit by the time I bought it, everyone else had written (rave) reviews, so my aim this time is to get a review of SharePoint Roadmap for Collaboration posted in good time. Well, when it arrives........


Totally off the topic of information management and search books, but for Micheal's benefit should he read this, I will qoute a conversation from a certain avaiation podcast I subscribe to:
  • Technical Editor: I can never understand who the Australian's think the main threat is anyway
  • European Editor: Well, the All Blacks are quite scary.........
Now if only I can get Martin and Micheal to collaborate (i.e. do all the work) on my 'seminal volume' on practical knowledge management....... :-)

1 comment:

Michael Sampson said...

Hi Jed ... it's coming! It's coming! Should be with you in a couple of days (here's hoping) ... and very much looking forward to your review.

M.