So its "Google Wave is dead, long live Google Wave (technologies)" ?
- It was too complicated for Joe Public / it was ahead of its time
- It was a really good enterprise collaborative project management tool
- "I never understood it anyway"
All hail Google (free) Voice !
- Messaging / communications - Gmail, Chat (with voice and video) Google Voice (your PABX), YouTube (internal communications like using video as much as anyone!) etc
- Collaboration - Wave, Google Docs
- Social collaboration / E2.0 - Buzz, Google Profiles, the mythical GoogleMe (think SharePoint MySites ?)
- Intranet - iGoogle and Sites
- Document management - Google Docs, but preferrably with a CMIS plug in
- Search - erm' that big Yellow GSA........
So what's missing - well support and consulting, and the razor sharp customer focus. That's why I think they need to buy an existing organization to provide the basis of an "enterprise division", an organisation with the experience and right ethos.