Tuesday 1 December 2009

New netbook OS - JoliCloud

Yesterday the folks over in France at JoliCloud sent me an email allowing me to join the private Alfa of their Netbook specific Linux distro. So I gleefully loaded it up on my little Acer Asprire One.

Downloading the 600MB ISO was swift even on my limited bandwidth DSL connection, and they have a superb tool for creating bootable USB flash drives, available in Mac, Windoze and Linux flavours. Install went flawlessly and perhaps a 45 mins to an hour to download and install a total of 145 OS and application updates. This meant it was quite late, so I basically just used it to check Gmail, loadup my Google Reader and take a look at the NHL scores.

The UI appears to be based on Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) and so it maywell be Ubunto under the hood. Just like its more famous cousin Google Chrome this is a netbook specific OS based at blending the best of two elements of the modern computing paradigm: "the open web and open source" - a direct qoute from their Our Idea page.

I will report back more as I use it, but if you want to get in on the Alfa stage, I have some invites I can send out.

No comments: